Baby Sounds


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, March 14, 2011

First Doctor's Visit

Today we nervously saw Dr. Foley for our first prenatal visit. Since I am just 5 weeks (but who's counting?!) today, it's a bit too early to do an ultrasound, so instead he is drawing my blood to get an idea of my progesterone and HCG levels.

What an incredible visit. The doctor spent an hour with us helping us to understand his approach. Regarding pregnant women who have a known progesterone deficiency (me) and given my history of a recent miscarriage, he was content with just placing me on progesterone without testing my blood. I didn't understand this and became frustrated. After all, I didn't want him to just be guessing. But now I understand that testing my blood isn't accurate for measuring progesterone levels. So regardless, we will continue supplementing daily with progesterone until the 12th or 13th week. We are so thankful for some of the misunderstandings he cleared up for us. And while we don't understand it all, we both left with a peace in our hearts that as parents, we were now seeing the right doctor. To be able to trust your doctor-what a RELIEF!! He encouraged us to just relax and try to be patient as worrying and testing can often (definitely with me) create more angst....let alone driving nearly an hour each time! This doctor answered all of our questions and addressed our concerns and gave such thorough and compassionate answers. I didn't once feel rushed or nervous. Thank you to all of my wonderful girlfriends, for recommending him!

And so we are content with prayer for our child...constant prayer. Less wory, less labs and more prayer.

Today Gary came home for his dinner break around 5:00 and was carrying publix grocery bags. He had a huge smile on his face and I could tell...that doctor's appointment was very good for him. It gave him some peace and confidence. He boldly proclaimed: "I've got groceries for my pregnant wife!!!!"

Of course the bags were oozing with nutritious goodies like blueberries and orange juice. Thank you, honey, for thinking of me. You make the best "pregnancy smoothies!" and I love you!

We look forward to our next visit, when Dr. Foley will do our first ultrasound where we will see and hear the heartbeat! We go on Thursday, March 31, which is 2 1/2 weeks from today...so I will be 7 1/2 weeks by then. Oh boy!!!(or girl!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Background